Pages

Wednesday 19 April 2017

TOP FIVE WEDNESDAY: Top five favourite LGBT+ reads

(Top Five Wednesday was created by GingerReadsLainey. Find out more at the Goodreads group!)

I love reading fiction that features LGBT+ characters. I'm bisexual, so I find stories with characters that include different sexualities far more compelling than reading the same boy-meets-girl story over and over and over again (not that they can't be enjoyable, but they can get boring). 
These five books all feature LGBT+ characters and are absolutely brilliant: I highly recommend all of them!

5) 'Will Grayson, Will Grayson' by John Green and David Levithan
Image result for will grayson will grayson
'Will Grayson, Will Grayson' is the first LGBT+ book I can ever remember reading, and I absolutely loved it. I read it way back in 2012 and I'm planning on rereading it soon - I still haven't read David Levithan's sequel/companion novel, 'Hold Me Closer', and I want to revisit the first book before I pick that one up. 

4) 'The Art of Being Normal' by Lisa Williamson
Image result for the art of being normal williamson
I'd never read a YA novel featuring a transgender character before, and this one ripped my heart out and stomped all over it. David wants to be a girl, but he's finding it impossible to tell his family. It's only when new boy Leo arrives on the scene that David finds the courage to be who he wants to be, rather than who he thinks he should be. 

3) 'Far From You' by Tess Sharpe
Image result for far from you sharpe
'Far From You' is a thrilling debut with a bisexual main character who's attempting to solve the mystery of the murder of the girl she was in love with. I cried so much during this story, but it quickly established itself as one of my favourite books of all time. 

2) 'Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda' by Becky Albertalli
Image result for simon vs the homo sapiens agenda
When I read 'Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda', I was falling in love with a girl and was trying to work out how to tell the world (or if I even had to!) and Simon's coming out tale really helped me. It's currently being made into a movie, and while I'm a little dubious of the casting - Nick Robinson, AGAIN?! - I'm looking forward to seeing this story on the big screen. 

1) 'All of the Above' by Juno Dawson
Image result for all of the above juno
There aren't many books I can read in one sitting, but I couldn't physically put 'All of the Above' down. Toria is bisexual, in a relationship with a boy but rapidly falling in love with her best friend. This was the first of Juno's novels that I picked up, and I haven't been able to bring myself to read any of her other books - I'm too scared that they're going to disappoint me, because this was absolutely flawless. 

I hope you enjoyed this Top Five Wednesday! Are there any LGBT+ books that you'd recommend I check out?

2 comments:

  1. I also really loved Simon, and I agree Nick Robinson seems to have been cast in everything lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh! I want to read All Of The Above and The Art Of Being Normal!!!

    ReplyDelete