Pages

Tuesday 31 January 2017

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Ten best comic covers I own

(Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and The Bookish!)

This week's Top Ten Tuesday is all about the visuals. I was considering a few different topics, but because I don't get the opportunity to show off my comics much, I thought this was the perfect chance to show you the most beautiful single issues that I own.
I'm a sucker for a good cover. I've been tempted to buy a few single issues from graphic novels that I've read just because their covers are beautiful (in particular this issue of Batgirl!) but I've been exercising all of my self-control to stop myself doing that. I just don't have enough room in my house for them all!
Sadly, this topic has encouraged me to start buying single issues again. I haven't bought a single comic this year so far, but I've now spent a lot catching up on the series I wanted to continue reading - whoops...

10) Gotham Academy: Second Semester #2
I just love the colours on this cover. All of the hands pointing towards Maps is a bit creepy, and it means it's impossible not to read on and find out what the HECK is happening. 

9) Mockingbird #3
I hadn't heard of Mockingbird before, so I didn't get too excited when they announced she was getting her own run of comics. Then this cover was released, and WOW. I love everything about the composition - the colours, the placement, the disorientation of the character being upside down. 

8) Harley Quinn #8
I can't fault this. Both Harley and Poison Ivy look absolutely amazing, and the little disclaimer warning label has you laughing before you've even opened the issue.

7) Patsy Walker aka Hellcat! #
The way the villain is so much bigger than the heroes makes her much more terrifying. Also, how cute is the little Patsy illustration?! This artist is amazing. 

6) Lumberjanes and Gotham Academy #2
When it was announced that Lumberjanes and Gotham Academy were having a short cross-over run, I knew I had to get my hands on it. The first ever graphic novel I read and my favourite graphic novel so far? YES! 
All of the six issues have beautiful covers, but this one is my personal favourite.

5) Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur #1
I'm so far behind on Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur that I'm going to need to buy the graphic novels to catch up, but I love how startling this cover is. It's so simple and that's what makes it so damn effective. 

4) Harley Quinn #7
My favourite thing about this cover is everything going on in the background. You've got the Joker up on stage, Batman wandering around in his pants and Catwoman chilling out in a cage - what's not to love?! 

3) Patsy Walker: Hellcat #3
This is the third issue out of a five issue limited run, and I adore this cover. Hellcat is my favourite superhero, and this is one of the most iconic images I've ever seen. 

2) Doom Patrol #3
I mostly picked up Doom Patrol after finding out Gerard Way was involved in it, but I absolutely love all of the covers. This is my favourite so far: adorable! 

1) Mockingbird #8

Mockingbird ended far too soon, but it went out with a bang: this badass cover was the last issue of the short-lived solo run. 

I hope you enjoyed this Top Ten Tuesday! Which of the above covers is your favourite, and why?

11 comments:

  1. Great choices! I need to read so many more of these. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo, all new to me titles this week.

    Here's a link to my TTT post for this week:
    https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2017/01/top-ten-tuesday-top-eleven-coffee-table.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not do a list today for myself, I asked my daughter if she wanted to help and list her favorite books!
    I never read a comic book.So The only ones I read were the VA and Percy Jackson graphic novels. But we did something a little different. Allyson added some comics she read on her list.
    Also check out our easy to enter Valentine's giveaway!



    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, this is an adorable way to make a list! I can't wait to check it out :)

      Delete
  5. Haven't heard of these before! Moon Girl looks interesting!

    Danica @ Shelves of Spines
    My Top 10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely that - she's a wonderful character! And who doesn't love dinosaurs?!

      Delete
  6. I see from your little bio that you are a librarian. Are you a public or school librarian (and what grade level?) I am a high school librarian. All my selections were from books in my library.

    My TTT Graphic Novels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I work in a public library, but I've worked in a secondary school library in the past.
      I might write a list on the best graphic novels I've borrowed from my library in the future, it's a good idea!

      Delete