Pages

Wednesday 17 August 2016

TOP FIVE WEDNESDAY: Top five first sentences

(Top Five Wednesday was created by GingerReadsLainey. Find out more at the Goodreads group!)

It's almost like I predicted that this was going to be a topic, because when I revamped the blog a couple of months ago I started a 'First Phrase' section to showcase the first sentences of novels. That means I had lots to choose from for this Top Five Wednesday!

5) 'Don't Even Think About It' by Sarah Mlynowski
'We were not always freaks.'

I'd assumed 'Don't Even Think About It' was going to be a cute contemporary, so when it started off with that sentence? It made me reassess everything I'd assumed from the cover!

4) 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' by Stephen Chbosky
'Dear friend,
I'm writing to you because she said you listen and understand and you didn't try to sleep with that person at that party even though you could have.' 

Who is writing the letters? Who are they writing them to? Who's she? What party?
This opening sentence both establishes the fact that it's an epistolary novel, and sets up so many questions that you have no choice but to continue reading. 

3) 'Fangirl' by Rainbow Rowell
'There was a boy in her room.'
So simple, but when you consider the love story that's about to unfold, it's absolutely adorable. 

2) 'Beautiful Broken Things' by Sara Barnard
'I thought it was the start to a love story.
Finally.'

1) 'Cross Stitch' (aka Outlander) by Diana Gabaldon
'People disappear all the time. Ask any policeman. Better yet, ask a journalist. Disappearances are bread and butter to journalists.' 

I like reading short books, so it takes a lot to convince me to pick up a book that's nearly 900 pages. I was recommended 'Cross Stitch' by one of the customers in the library, but I still wasn't convinced - that first sentence was enough for me to take it home. 
Haven't started it yet, though... I should get on with that. 

I hope you enjoyed this Top Five Wednesday! What are your favourite first sentences?

No comments:

Post a Comment