Pages

Tuesday 19 July 2016

TOP TEN TUESDAY: Ten best books NOT set in USA

(Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and The Bookish!)

Oh, this is FAR too easy! Being from the UK, I mostly read UKYA, which means reading books set in America is actually not the norm for me. I am going to try and choose some books from many different settings, though - I won't just go with UK, because I feel as though that would be cheating.

10) 'All of the Above' by Juno Dawson
The fictional setting of Brompton-on-Sea perfectly imitates any seaside location in the UK, making this book a delight to read.

9) 'Ferryman' by Claire McFall
Not a brilliant book, but set in Scotland and stuffed full with damp, dreary moors.

...wait, you didn't really think I was ONLY going to choose settings in the UK, right? That would be silly!

8) 'Asking For It' by Louise O'Neill
This is still fairly near to the UK, being set in Ireland, but the vocabulary and language used brings the country and the culture to life.

7) 'The Girl of Ink and Stars' by Kiran Millwood Hargrave
I'm not exactly sure where this one is set, but they reference Afrik and Amrica as distance places, so I'm assuming this one is some mysterious, far-off place in our world.

6) 'Anna and the French Kiss' by Stephanie Perkins
Okay, this one starts in America... But soon enough Anna is in France, where her romance begins.

5) 'Trash' by Andy Mulligan
The setting of this one isn't specified, but with the descriptions of the locations it definitely feels South American.  

4) 'Ultraviolet' by R. J. Anderson
I can't remember much about this book - other than the beautiful descriptions of Alison's synesthesia, which I'd never even heard of before - but apparently it's set in Canada. Who knew?!

3) 'Tomorrow, When The War Began' by John Marsden
This best-selling series is set in Australia, but I feel as though it would have been cheating if I'd just listed all seven of the titles (particularly because I've only read the first one...).

2) 'Girl Online: On Tour' by Zoe Sugg
I'm as shocked as you are that I'm putting one of Zoella's books this high up on a Top Ten list. Following Noah and his band on tour, we get to see lots of different - and under-appreciated - places in Europe, which makes it great for getting a feel for new locations.

1) 'Stolen' by Lucy Christopher
After Gemma is kidnapped from the airport, she's taken to Australia - the deep Outback, with lots of beautiful descriptions of the red, burning hot sand surrounding her.

I hope you enjoyed this Top Ten Tuesday! What's your favourite book set outside of America?

3 comments:

  1. Great Top Ten! Stolen also made my list, I really loved reading it! I love the cover of All of the Above, I'm adding it to my TBR now! :D
    My Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading Asking For It at the moment!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2016/07/19/top-ten-tuesday-66/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list - Anna also made my list this week! The Girl of Ink and Stars also looks really interesting, so I may have to check that one out soon :)

    Heres my TTT

    ReplyDelete