Pages

Monday 11 April 2016

February and March book haul

After being so late posting January's book haul, I decided to start work early on February... But then I forgot to hit post.
I KNOW, I'M AN IDIOT.
I assumed that I'd posted it, and it was only while I was scrolling back through my blog preparing my March book haul that I noticed the little 'Draft' button next to this post. So I've decided to combine the two, and just apologise really, really hard...

FEBRUARY: 

eBooks:
I purchased 'How Hard Can Love Be?' by Holly Bourne the day it came out, because it was a brand new release and it was only £2.50. I was not going to argue with that price!
Along with it, I received a download code to redeem a free eBook - out of the selection that were offered, I chose 'Payback' by Kimberley Chambers.
I also decided to nab 'The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making' by Catherynne M. Valente, which was only 99p. I've heard awesome things about it, so I'm hoping I'll love it as much as I'm expecting to. I'd also heard awesome things about 'The Orphan Queen', which was on offer at £1.99.
I also downloaded the first installment of 'Z-Minus' by Perrin Briar, which was free on Kindle. It was recommended to me by someone on Goodreads - thank you again for the suggestion! - and I'm looking forward to trying it out. 
Last, but most certainly not least, I bought 'Kindred Spirits' by Rainbow Rowell and 'Spot The Difference' by Juno Dawson, both short stories released for World Book Day. I've already read 'Kindred Spirits' (I know, I have no self control!) and you can check out my review of it here. 

Charity shopping:
The bottom six books were all ones that I purchased in London, while I picked up the top two around Swindon. I'm glad to finally have a physical copy of 'Ulysses', which I'm planning on reading at some point this year for the #2016ClassicsChallenge - it is menacingly large, though!

However, I then went to meet Pierce Brown, and had a morning to spare in London, which also consisted of charity shopping. That's where these beauties came from. Not such a small charity shopping book haul after all...

Library book sale: 
I only purchased five books from the library book sale this month, but they all look very intriguing. I've heard good things about 'Mila 2.0', but I'm most excited to read 'Blood On My Hands' - I love a YA book with a bit of murder. 

Graphic novels:
Only one graphic novel this month, Alyce? Are you sure? 
Heck yeah I'm sure! But the only reason is because I've started purchasing single issues... It's kind of getting out of hand. 

bookbridgr: 
In the most exciting day of my life ever (so far), I couldn't believe it when I opened my post and found MORNING STAR MORNING STAR MORNING STAR MORNING STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To get an ARC of this book was my most successful and my happiest moment of a book blogger so far - it couldn't get any better than this. Then I received an email inviting me to Hodder's headquarters to meet Pierce... And yep, THEN my life hit its peak. 
When I opened the post a week later and found 'The Reaction' by Helena Coggan, I was also buzzing with excitement! I haven't read 'The Catalyst' yet, but I purchased it a few months ago and have been holding off for the sequel to get here - I am definitely looking forward to diving into these two.
A huge thank you to Hodder, and of course bookbridgr, for giving me access to these ARCs!  

New releases:
I'd already pre-ordered the finished copy of 'Morning Star', so having it to complement my ARC... I just love it. It's so beautiful.
I also pre-ordered 'Glass Sword', the follow-up to Victoria Aveyard's 'Red Queen'. Again, I haven't read the first book in the series, but I'm much more inclined to now that the sequel has been released. Also, for pre-ordering, I received this badass tote bag from the publisher! 
Thank you, Orion!

The final brand new book that I bought in February was 'Red Rising' by Pierce Brown. I ended up getting my beautiful hardcover signed by him when I met him at Hodder - I'll show you that some other day...

Illumicrate: 
The swag in the second Illumicrate is absolutely amazing. As well as bookish pencils and a beautiful bookcase themed pencil case, there was a selection of bookmarks and promo material (I adore the recipe for Grace Reed's Lemonade, based off of 'My Life Next Door' by Huntley Fitzpatrick). My favourite thing? Of course it was the magnetic bookmarks based off of shipping - perfect for Valentine's day: 
I also love the scent of the 'A Darker Shade of Magic' themed candle (cleverly branded 'A Darker Scent of Magic'): 
But I know the question you're all dying to get answered: what book was in the box?!
That's right, it was 'Truthwitch' by Susan Dennard!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd been anticipating this release for so long, and when I found it in the bottom of my Illumicrate I'm not ashamed to say that I did do a little happy dance. The bookmark, postcard and signed book plate that accompanied it were not too shabby either! 

Owlcrate:
It was SO EXCITING this month, because I received both Owlcrate and Illumicrate, and they both contained books that I'd been dying to read! 
'The Love That Split The World' also came with a gorgeous signed bookplate. I haven't stuck it in yet... I might one day. 

So in February I actually only ended up buying 41 books. If only I'd had more control when I went to London! 

MARCH: 

eBooks:
I bought one eBook in the entirety of March, and that was 'Half Truths', Sally Green's novella to accompany the Half Life series. I'm currently rereading the series, so I thought it would be good to add these in my second time around. 

Graphic novels:
When I went to see Sleeping With Sirens, I ended up staying in Camden, and they have the most wonderful comic shop. That's where I purchased these three.
I also had to purchase 'Black Canary' - I love her in the Batgirl series that I've been reading at the moment, so when I found out her own graphic novel was releasing I was beyond excited. 

Library book sale:
Again, this stack isn't as big as it could have been! I'm learning to exhibit self-control. I had to purchase 'Crank', though - I read it many, many years ago, and I can't wait to fall into the story once more. Ellen Hopkins is a genius. 

Charity shopping:
Okay... This is where things get a bit worse. There are quite a lot of books in this stack.
Don't you dare judge me for purchasing the 'Twilight: Official Illustrated Guide' - it actually looks really cool, and there are some high quality illustrations in there!

New books:
There are a lot of exciting releases coming out this year, and they're books I'm definitely going to purchase. I bought myself 'The Winner's Kiss' and 'Half Lost', because I can't wait to finish the two series, and 'Lady Midnight', because I own all of Cassandra Clare's other novels, and it would have been rude not to.
My wonderful mummy bought me the other books in this stack, as she found them all exclusively signed on Waterstones - I couldn't believe my eyes. 

Maximumpopbooks:
I won a Maximum Pop competition this month, and it's probably the most excited I've ever been. I won another one the next day, but the book arrived at the very start of April, so you'll need to wait and check that out in my next book haul... 
'Broken Sky' sounds wonderful. I haven't read any of L.A. Weatherly's books yet, but I'll probably start with this one. 

Owlcrate:

I hadn't heard of 'The Serpent King' before I received Owlcrate, but since then it's quickly become one of my most anticipated reads of the year. Coming of age? Check! And I do love coming of age tales. Even though the cover really makes it look like a dystopian... 
It also came with this absolutely adorable quote card: 
I'd actually thought that I'd bought more books in March than I did in February, but with the number being at a rather small 29 books I'm happy with that! I would ideally like to purchase less in April, but it is my birthday, so I just might be given some... 

I hope you enjoyed these very late book hauls! I promise that April will be much more timely - thank you guys for putting up with me. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a wonderful collection of books. I see quite a few there I may have to do some research on because the titles really grabbed me. I really want to read the Rainbow Rowell one but am having difficulty locating it here in the states. Hope you enjoy them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you manage to get hold of it! I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but if it's as good as the other Rainbow Rowell books that I've read it'll be wonderful <3

      Delete