Pages

Wednesday 9 March 2016

TOP FIVE WEDNESDAY: Top five books that feature time travel

(Top Five Wednesday was created by GingerReadsLainey. Find out more at the Goodreads group!)

I'm going to be honest, I don't read many books that feature time travel.
I know: what the hell, Alyce? It's just one of those things that I've never really gotten in to - it takes me too long to readjust my brain to the jumping around and I really lose the flow of the story. I even gave up on 'Doctor Who' because it was too much for me to deal with!
So these five books feature time travel in a less sci-fi way, and these are five books that have unconventional ways of using time:

5) 'Hello, Goodbye, and Everything In Between' by Jennifer E. Smith
Until the epilogue (or the second prologue) this book is set in one night - the last night - of a long-term relationship. I only read it a few weeks ago, and I was disappointed: without the epilogue it's a much stronger story. However, despite my quibbles, it has an unconventional and very clever way of using a small amount of time.

4) 'If I Stay' by Gayle Forman
If I'd read 'Just One Day' or 'Just One Night', I might have chosen one of those instead - as it is, I had to pick 'If I Stay' because Gayle Forman makes you care for the characters and their relationship in a very short amount of time. Mia has been in a terrible car crash and has to decide whether to let go or to fight to stay alive. Because the book starts with the accident we don't know the characters enough to care, but Gayle cleverly employs the use of flashbacks to tell Mia's story.

3) 'Landline' by Rainbow Rowell
In 'Landline', Georgie discovers a telephone that allows her to phone her husband, Neal, back in 1998. By intertwining the past and the present of their relationship, Rainbow successfully uses time in a way that's both bittersweet and magical.

2) 'One Day' by David Nicholls
'One Day' tells the story of a relationship over a period of twenty years, set only on July 15th. To focus so completely on one day in a year is a genius idea, and it gives a lot of possibilities for the events that have occurred in the twelve months in between.

1) 'Far From You' by Tess Sharpe
I only read 'Far From You' last week, but I adored the way that the story played out. Every other chapter is a flashback, filling us in on the life of our protagonist and her relationship with her best friend, Mina, who is murdered in the prologue.

I hope you enjoyed my twist on this week's Top Five Wednesday! Do you have any time travel books that you would recommend I try?

6 comments:

  1. I liked the twist you did on the topic!! I contemplated putting Landline on my list. Clever with If I Stay. If I could recommend one as it looks like you like contemporary reads is Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. Great list!

    Here's mine --> TOP 5 TIME TRAVEL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ah, Time Travelers Wife has been on my TBR for so long and I keep forgetting about it - I'll have to pick it up as soon as I have some time!

      Delete
  2. Wow, your picks are so different than mine! Far From You sounds especially interesting. Here's my top 5 list: https://readingexperienceswithnora.wordpress.com/2016/03/09/t5w-books-featuring-time-travel/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend it, it's bittersweet but I love it!

      Delete
  3. I like the twist you did on this week's topic! I haven't read Hello, Goodbye and Everything In Between yet but I definitely want to!
    Here's mine: http://dualreads.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/top-5-books-featuring-time-travel.html

    ReplyDelete