Pages

Friday 8 January 2016

FRIDAY PLAYLIST: Best albums of 2015

2015 was both a good and bad year for music. It spawned albums brilliant and mediocre, and included band reunions and break-ups. So it feels appropriate to officially send the year off with a collection of the best albums released over the last 12 months.

10) 'Lower Than Atlantis: The Black Edition' by Lower Than Atlantis

This is cheating, because it's a re-release, but Lower Than Atlantis's self-titled album was my favourite album of 2014, so I had to include 'The Black Edition' on this playlist. It features many, many more songs (fifteen in total) and with alternative versions of the songs I already loved and some very surprising covers, it was impossible not to enjoy the re-release just as much as the original.
My favourite song on the album? 'Get Over It'.

9) 'Ones and Zeros' by Young Guns
I did expect more from Young Guns third release, but with a host of catchy singles and a dramatic change in direction 'Ones and Zeros' definitely wasn't them staying in their comfort zone. They deserve recognition for their bravery, if nothing else. 
My favourite song on the album? 'Rising Up'. 

8) 'ARK' by We Are The Ocean
I almost forgot about 'ARK', because it was released quite early last year, but I still adore the sound and the development that We Are The Ocean managed to undergo. 
My favourite song on the album? 'Do It Together'. 

7) 'Purpose' by Justin Bieber
Woah. This one's a shocker, isn't it? But the truth is, I was a proper little Belieber when I was younger, and with Justin's new dance sensibilities and mature sound I just can't help but appreciate this album. I haven't heard it in its entirety yet, but that'll happen soon enough.
My favourite song on the album? 'What Do You Mean'.

6) 'Life's Not Out To Get You' by Neck Deep
Despite the negative events that unfolded right after the release, Neck Deep released a banger of an album in the form of 'Life's Not Out To Get You'. It's certainly elevated their career to unexpected heights, and that's just going to continue throughout 2016 with their impending world tour.
My favourite song on the album? 'Gold Steps'.

5) 'That's The Spirit' by Bring Me The Horizon
With a release that was both surprising and utterly successful, Bring Me The Horizon broke free from their chains with their nu-metal infused fifth album. 
My favourite song on the album? 'True Friends'. 

4) 'Blossom' by Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes

After Pure Love broke up, Frank Carter took a bit of time off from music - it was a well-deserved break, and by coming back with the Rattlesnakes to release 'Blossom', it definitely paid off.
My favourite song on the album? 'Fangs'.

3) 'Automatic' by Don Broco
DON'T YOU WANNA BE AUTOMATIC?
Well yeah, I did, that's why I bought the album and FREAKING LOVED IT. 
My favourite song on the album? 'Nerve'. 

2) 'Badlands' by Halsey
Halsey was the breakout star of 2015, going from small shows to selling out Madison Square Garden within a matter of months. With her honest lyrical content and catchy backing tracks, I couldn't help but love Halsey as soon as I started listening to her. 
My favourite song on the album? 'Strange Love'. 

1) 'Blurryface' by twenty one pilots
This is going to be a surprise for everyone, because I hated 'Blurryface' when it was released, but it's definitely grown on me over the last three months. 
My favourite song on the album? 'The Judge'. 

I hope you enjoyed this Friday Playlist: see you next week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment