Pages

Friday 11 December 2015

FRIDAY PLAYLIST: Discovered in 2015 edition

As it gets closer to the end of the year, I'm looking back over the last year and realising that I've discovered some pretty amazing bands and artists in the last twelve months. Here are ten of them.

10) Jeremy Loops
After seeing Jeremy supporting twenty one pilots, I'm excited to hear more of his music - his sound is so unique, and I really appreciate the talent it takes to play so many different instruments.

9) Alvarez Kings

I fell in love with Alvarez Kings back in April, and I'm hoping to be able to see them again in 2015.

8) Man With A Mission

I only discovered Man With A Mission at the end of November, but their memorable stage show with their wolf personas means I'm not likely to forget them any time soon.

7) HECK
I first listened to HECK in their previous incarnation, Baby Godzilla, back in March at Takedown Festival. Seeing them as HECK at Warped UK was absolutely mind-blowing: I still can't believe they reassembled their entire stage set up in the middle of the crowd.

6) Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes

Does it count as discovering a band in 2015 if they actually only formed this year? 'Blossom', the debut album by Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes, is definitely one of the best albums that was released in the last twelve months.

5) Patent Pending
Another band that I only discovered in November, I can't stop singing along to 'Hey Mario' in my head. It's a very empowering song, and it really does make you feel better when life gets you down.

4) Elasea
I discovered Elasea when they supported Funeral For A Friend, and they quickly became one of the most exciting new bands I'd encountered. I was given their EP, 'Where I Belong', early, and I absolutely love it - I still listen to it all of the time!

3) Heartwork
Heartwork, a.k.a Dan O'Dell, is a strange mixture of an artist. With hilarious stage banter that means you can't help but laugh, combined with soulfully heart-wrenching lyrics that just make you want to die... It's a very confusing time. I actually get to see Dan live one more time next week, and I'm really looking forward to it - even if I will need to have a cry afterwards.

2) Halsey
Coming in at number two, Ashley Frangipane is definitely the best solo artist that I've discovered this year. Since releasing her debut album, 'Badlands', Halsey is taking the world by storm, selling out Madison Square Garden two nights in a row, just for starters. Halsey doesn't make the normal kind of music that I listen to, but I love her in spite of that - I'm looking forward to seeing what she can do to follow the biggest year of her life.

1) PVRIS
To anyone who didn't expect PVRIS to top this list: come on, do you even know me?! Thinking about the fact that I've only known who PVRIS are for a year is crazy to me - I've seen them four times, with a fifth coming up in April, and they've quickly become one of my favourite bands. It feels as though I must have been following them for years, but I'm excited about what the future - and album two - will hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment