Pages

Wednesday 14 October 2015

TOP FIVE WEDNESDAY: Top five diverse characters

(Top Five Wednesday was created by GingerReadsLainey. Find out more at the Goodreads group!)

It was so hard to make this list just five characters - I could have made it fifteen or twenty at least! YA is such an inclusive genre, so there is an abundance of diverse characters to choose between.
I participate in Top Ten Tuesday, and back in July the list was the ten most diverse books you've read, so I'm not including any of the characters from those books. I've tried to take the topic and go as far and as wide with it as I can, so these aren't necessarily my favourites... Just the most diverse of the lot.

5) Cinder from The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
Cinder is a cyborg, which is rather diverse - can you name another cyborg in YA literature?

4) Arin from 'The Winner's Curse' and 'The Winner's Crime' by Marie Rutkoski
Arin is a slave, and while 'The Winner's Curse' isn't set in our world, the trials and tribulations that he goes through are the same as what would have been experienced by slaves in America at the turn of the 19th Century. 

3) Darren from 'Me Being Me Is Exactly As Insane As You Being You' by Todd Hasak-Lowy
While I hated this book, I can't fault the diversity it featured - one of the only books that I can think of straight off with a Jewish protagonist. Also, Darren's father is gay, so it has multiple diverse inclusions.

2) Lara Jean Song from 'To All The Boys I've Loved Before' by Jenny Han
Lara Jean Song is half-Korean and living in America, and it's interesting to see how the cultures work together. 

1) David from 'The Art Of Being Normal' by Lisa Williamson
David is transgender - a girl trapped in a boy's body. Lisa Williamson's novel is one of the only examples of transgender in YA that I can think of off of the top of my head, and David is extremely lovable and easy to empathise with. I really wanted to include Leo in this list too, but I felt bad including two characters from one book when there were so many others to choose from. 

I hope you enjoyed my Top Five Wednesday! It's made me realise that I definitely need to start looking for YA books that have protagonists of different ethnicities, because I definitely read more LGBTQIA fiction that anything else.
Leave your comments down below with who your favourite diverse characters are, and if I missed anyone important. 

No comments:

Post a Comment