Pages

Wednesday 19 August 2015

TOP FIVE WEDNESDAY: Top five character tropes I hate

(Top Five Wednesday was created by GingerReadsLainey. Find out more at the Goodreads group!)

Hello, and welcome to another Top Five Wednesday! This week is the top five character tropes that I hate, which is difficult because when I had to do five tropes I loved some of those were ones that I loved to hate. So it's taken me an INSANE amount of time to come up with this post.

5) The "I'm in love with my ex-boyfriend's relative" trope
eye roll animated GIF
Elena Gilbert falling for Stefan AND Damon Salvatore. The new novel I picked up, 'Going Vintage', talking about a girl falling for a new boy after her ex cheats on her, only to find out that new boy is her ex's cousin. Can we just keep away from relationships with relatives, please?

4) The chosen one trope
You're a special little snowflake and you need to save the world - I understand, I really do. But do you need to be completely self-sacrificing, high and mighty with your friends and a complete and utter moron while you're doing it? (Surprisingly, these above points are not aimed at Tris Prior, but every "chosen one" *cough* Clary from The Mortal Instruments *cough*). 

3) The best friends become enemies trope
Preach it, Hayley. Off the top of my head I can't think of any YA examples (apart from 'Stella' by Helen Eve, but I hated the entirety of that novel so that's not a surprise) but I can feel that they're right on the tip of my tongue - I'll have to edit some in later as an when they come to me. But I do find this a lot in TV shows - 'Pretty Little Liars' being one of the best examples - and it just irritates the bejesus out of me. 

2) The love triangle trope
I put love triangles on my favourite character tropes too, but I mentioned the fact that some of them can be written terribly. 'Twilight' is the worst of the bunch, but at the moment 'The Selection' isn't that far behind because there just doesn't seem to be any real reason behind it apart from nostalgia. It might get better over the rest of the series, but if it makes me feel like pulling my hair out at any point then it needs to be on this list. 

1) The insta-love trope
Well, ya can't. I'm talking to you, Bella Swan (seems to me I've mentioned Twilight too much today!) - avert your eyes from pasty Edward and learn to live a little before throwing your life away.

I hope you enjoyed my Top Five Wednesday! Leave your comments down below - I can't wait to see what tropes everyone else hates. 

6 comments:

  1. Instalove is just so bad and love triangles are just no!
    Feel free to see my link here: http://powisamy.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/top-5-wednesday-tropes-i-hate.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never normally DNF books, but as soon as instalove comes into the equation that's the only time that I consider it. So annoying!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad to see everyone hating on love triangles this week! Also, amen to insta-love being #1. Nopity nope, nope, nope. Great Top 5!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there any other option for #1?! And thank you! :)

      Delete
  3. The chosen one, the insta-love... yes! I'm so over it! I can actually deal with the love triangles (and even enjoy them when they're done well) but insta-love... just no.
    My T5W list is here: http://bit.ly/1J4LsTF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to put love triangles on my tropes I love AND tropes I hate list, because some of them are brilliantly written - it's just a shame that there are a lot of them that are weak and ineffectual!

      Delete