Pages

Thursday 11 June 2015

INVESTIGATION: Can books really fix everything? END OF WEEK TWO.

Last week, I hadn't finished any self-help books, so I decided to write a list of the features that I found in the self-help book that I was half way through. This week, I've actually finished a couple of self-help books, so how do I think the investigation is going at this point? Well, I can show you with one simple image...


I finished 'The Rules of Life', and by the end of the book I'd actually found that 18 of the rules helped me, which was a plus. However, the other 72 were pointless but not too annoying, so I still found that I enjoyed the book overall.
This was the complete opposite to 'Transforming Eight Deadly Emotions into Healthy Ones' by Dr Windy Dryden. I've written a full review over on Goodreads, and I'm not going to go into it too much here because I will just start ranting, because this is one of the most annoying books I've ever had the displeasure to encounter. I didn't even manage to get through the entire book, and one of the things I really pride myself on is that when I pick up a book I fight through and I finish it, no matter how bad it gets. The rule about the language being convoluted definitely applies to this book - you have to wade through lots of psychological babble to get to any of the slightly interesting pieces of advice or information, and they really are only slightly interesting, so I just felt like I was losing much more than I could ever hope to gain.
Two weeks into this investigation, and I'm definitely regretting starting it - it doesn't feel as though I've learnt anything, improved myself or changed any of my negatives. I'm going to persevere over the next two weeks, but I'm not expecting anything mind-blowing to happen at this stage of the game! I've had some advice from a colleague though, and I'll be trying that out over the next week, so watch this space to see how that little diversion goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment